What is the Electronic Prescription Service?
The Electronic Prescription Service is an NHS-funded service in England which gives you the option of how your GP sends your prescription to the pharmacy of your choice.
What does this mean for you?
If you currently collect your repeat prescription from your GP, you will not have to visit your GP practice to pick up your paper prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the place you choose, saving you time.
What do I have to do?
Click here to fill in our online nomination form.
Click here to download and print out our paper nomination form. Once you have filled it in you can either post it or bring it into the Davey's Chemist of your choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
+ Is this service right for me?
Yes if the following points apply to you:
- You don't want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your prescription.
- You collect your medicines from the same place most of the time.
- You already use a repeat prescription collection or delivery service.
+ Do I have to pay for this service?
No, this service is free.
+ How can I use the Electronic Prescription Service?
You simplify choose where you want your GP to send your electronic prescription. This is called nomination. You can choose:
- A pharmacy
- A dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one)
- Your dispensing GP Practice (if you are eligible)
Once you have been given information about the service and provided consent, any of the above healthcare professionals can register your nomination on your behalf.
+ Can I change my nominations or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. Nomination is very flexible and can be changed or cancelled at any time by either:
- Asking a member of staff at any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers the Electronic Prescription Service.
- Asking a member of staff at your GP practice. But please be sure to tell them before your prescription is due or your prescription might be sent to the wrong place. It is important to remember that you don't have to use nomination on every occasion. If you don't wish to use nomination on a particular prescription, you should let your GP practice know before the prescription is issued.
+ Is the Electronic Prescription Service reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes, your electronic prescription will only be seen by the same people that see your paper prescription now:
- GP practices
- NHS prescriptions payments
- Fraud agencies You can check your nomination status securely and confidentially at any GP, pharmacy, dispensing appliance contractor or dispensing GP practice that offers the Electronic Prescription Service.
If you have any questions that we have not covered here click here to contact us. Or simply pop into your local Davey's Chemist and our experienced staff will be happy to answer any questions you have.